Wednesday 14 November 2012

MACKLEMORE & RYAN LEWIS - SAME LOVE feat. MARY LAMBERT

Seeing as how last week we looked at how Rap music is considered poetry (I agree), and Jay-Z's opinion on the matter, and speaking about his book, I figured I'd help support the argument. Macklemore speaking the truth on homosexuality, and how it is degraded and looked down upon. The struggles someone may have if they were homosexual. He is promoting a positive message, where society should not ruin someone's life because of their sexuality/skin colour. We are all the same, underneath, we are all the same person, regardless of sex. Don't change for nobody

LYRICS:

[Piano Intro]

[Verse 1: Macklemore]
When I was in the 3rd grade
I thought that I was gay
Cause I could draw,
 my uncle was
And I kept my room straight
I told my mom, tears rushing down my face
She's like, "Ben you've loved girls since before pre-K"

Trippin', yeah, I guess she had a point, didn't she
A bunch of stereotypes all in my head
I remember doing the math like
"Yeah, I'm good a little league"

A pre-conceived idea of what it all meant
For those that like the same sex had the characteristics

The right-wing conservatives think its a decision
And you can be cured with some treatment and religion

Man-made, rewiring of a pre-disposition
Playing God

Ahh nah, here we go
America the brave
Still fears what we don't know

And God loves all his children it's somehow forgotten
But we paraphrase a book written
3,500 hundred years ago
I don't know


[Hook: Mary Lambert]
And I can't change
Even if I tried
Even if I wanted to
And I can't change
Even if I tried
Even if I wanted to

My love, my love, my love
She keeps me warm [x4]


[Verse 2: Macklemore]
If I was gay
I would think hip-hop hates me

Have you read the YouTube comments lately
"Man that's gay"
Gets dropped on the daily

We've become so numb to what we're sayin'
Our culture founded from oppression
Yeah, we don't have acceptance for 'em

Call each other faggots
Behind the keys of a message board

A word routed in hate
Yet our genre still ignores it

Gay is synonymous with the lesser
It's the same hate that's caused wars from religion
Gender to skin color
Complexion of your pigment
The same fight that lead people to walk-outs and sit-ins
Human rights for everybody
There is no difference

Live on! And be yourself!
When I was in church
They taught me something else
If you preach hate at the service
Those words aren't anointed
And that Holy Water
That you soak in
Is then poisoned

When everyone else
Is more comfortable
Remaining voiceless
Rather than fighting for humans
That have had their rights stolen

I might not be the same
But that's not important

No freedom 'til we're equal
Damn right I support it

[Trombone]
I don't know

[Hook: Mary Lambert]

[Verse 3: Macklemore]
We press play
Don't press pause
Progress, march on!

With a veil over our eyes
We turn our back on the cause

'Till the day
That my uncles can be united by law

Kids are walkin' around the hallway
Plagued by pain in their heart

A world so hateful
Some would rather die
Than be who they are

And a certificate on paper
Isn't gonna solve it all
But it's a damn good place to start

No law's gonna change us
We have to change us

Whatever god you believe in
We come from the same one

Strip away the fear
Underneath it's all the same love
About time that we raised up


[Hook: Mary Lambert]

[Outro: Mary Lambert]
Love is patient, love is kind
Love is patient (not cryin' on Sundays)
Love is kind (not crying on Sundays) [x5]

3 comments:

  1. This is definitely poetry to me! It has meaning and purpose. I see this as pure art and by having it in a video it also shows a real life story.

    Good find thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was watching the video and lyrics, it let me thought about relationship between music and poetry.

    Poetry and music in the produce, expression and aesthetic features has many similarities.

    It directly in the movement of the performance of the direct musician from life experience obtained in all sorts of feelings; also can make the listener actively mobilize various emotional touches the feeling of poetry artistic conception and emotion.

    The combination of music and poetry that enriched the art of music art form of performance forms, also expressed in the poetry of image more colourful. In terms of representation between mutually complement and reinforce each other. This illustrates the blending of music and poetry with a strong, as well as a musical expression of artistic image in the deep background in poetry more thoroughly; more perfect and more comprehensive performance in art meet the aesthetic needs in terms of people.

    Rap style is also a kind of poetry expression technique.

    Rap is a colloquial narrative, in part with the circumstances depicted to be as detailed and specific as possible, time, location, and character and story development to explain clearly. Also highlight the narrative on rap music, a large number of narrative singings, a tight combination of music and language.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice quality video... I guess they have tons of budget on making it.

    Ok a cool a music video and here I am watching it with my sounds turn off... at first the introduction seems naturally nothing out of ordinary but after half way through it gradually reveal its message and intention. While the message is strong but society still not convince otherwise. There are still a lot of people out there that are against on it.

    ReplyDelete